Sorby made to go sit in the corner for a couple of weeks
scrape at mindspring dot com
2003-07-24 20:10:29 UTC
From the following page on cyclenews.com:
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=5118

The following release is from Kawasaki...

Team Pro Circuit/Kawasaki/Chevy Trucks has announced that Eric Sorby
will not compete in this weekend’s Chevy Trucks U.S. Motocross
Championship race at Washougal, Washington. The team cited
disciplinary measures that stem from recent actions on the track.

Sorby has been one of the top contenders in this summer’s outdoor
motocross series after strongly contesting the Western Region 125
Supercross series earlier this year. At 24-years-old, he hasn’t had
much experience riding at this level in the U.S. and has shown
inexperience at times, as evidenced this past week with a
disqualification by AMA officials for illegally cutting the track.

Sorby, who hails from Marseille, France, has been one of the sport’s
rising stars since his emergence on the U.S. scene back in March of
2002 and is someone Team Pro Circuit/Kawasaki/Chevy Trucks sees can
play an integral role in the team’s future.

“We believe that Eric has the ability to compete at this level and win
some races,” explained Mitch Payton, owner of Pro Circuit, Inc. of
Corona, California, who also oversees Team Pro Circuit/Kawasaki/Chevy
Trucks. “He has a lot of talent and determination out on the track. He
works hard and wants to do well in the U.S., it's just sometimes we
feel he gets going a little too quickly out on the track which in turn
causes some poor decisions.

“We want Eric to take a step back and reassess his approach to racing.
Pro Circuit, Kawasaki and the rest of our sponsors fully support his
efforts and realize that he is very close to being on the top of the
podium.”

Sorby sat down with Payton and Kawasaki’s professional motocross team
manager Mark Johnson this week and agreed that taking a short break
would be a positive move. That type of support has left a lasting
impression on the young Frenchman.

“I wanted very badly to race over here in the U.S.,” said Sorby, who
had previously raced in France since the age of 5. “Sometimes out on
the track I may get a little too anxious or want to win too much. But
I want to do the right thing and win races the right way.

“I feel a lot of support from Pro Circuit and the team. They were the
ones that gave me the chance. Kawasaki is also a great place and a
very good bike for me. I think the time off will be good for me to get
my head straight and focus on riding to the best of my ability.”

Sorby’s “chance” came at the beginning of the 2002 season when friend
and fellow countryman David Vuillemin recommended Sorby to Pro Circuit
owner Mitch Payton. Sorby filled in for an injured rider and performed
well, finishing third at his inaugural 125 race at the Houston
Supercross. He would later finish out the season for the team and
earned a permanent spot on this season’s roster.

“Eric has a big heart and is very well liked on the team and in the
pits,” said Johnson. “Talent-wise, he definitely belongs on the track.
He just needs to be a little better in his decision making.”

The Chevy Trucks U.S. Motocross Championship series visits Washougal,
Wash., this weekend and will take a two-week break before resuming on
August 17 in Millville, Minn., where Sorby is slated to make his
return.
Germy McWrath
David Levy
Stephen Bobic
2003-07-26 00:37:58 UTC
"...for illegally cutting the track." There's a LEGAL way to cut the track?
--
Stephen Bobic
(You'll figure out how to fix the e-mail address.)

1979 RM-125 (in restoration)
1991 RM-250 (in need of sale)
2002 CRF-450R (current love)

AMA, GARTRA, EHT-PAL
scrape at mindspring dot com
2003-07-26 12:47:45 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:37:58 -0400, Stephen Bobic
Post by Stephen Bobic
"...for illegally cutting the track." There's a LEGAL way to cut the track?
Apparently, it has something to do with making sure no AMA official is
looking.

I'm trying to read between the lines, but why would Kawasaki bench him
for a couple of weeks if he was in the points chase? He'd already
been black flagged for one race, but they didn't even cancel his
points for the rest of the weekend or suspend him beyond that one
particular moto.

Something else is going on.
Stephen Bobic

AMA, GARTRA, EHT-PAL
Eric B
2003-07-27 01:22:28 UTC
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:40:51 -0400, Stephen Bobic
Post by Stephen Bobic
Ya think? Sounds like blatant predjudice to me. Actually, it sounds
like Duke is in a snit again this summer and is taking it out on
everyone else.
Not sure who Duke is, but I'll assume it's the Pro Circuit team
manager. Geez, with Brown, Stewart and Sorby likely to have been in
the top 5 or 6 by season's end, you'd think Kawasaki would have been
pretty happy.
Yah, except Brown is the great hope for a championship and he seems to have
lost his fire, and he's constantly walking the dirty riding line.
Sorby-well we all know about Sorby. And Stewart, well he has about a
snowballs chance in hell of pulling of the championship. Especially since
Rhino's almost better. Of course if Rhino gets hurt again, then all bets
are off. Yes, I'm counting out Langston-he's not consistent enough. He'll
f it up somehow.

Eric
--
2000 XR250, '74 Elsinore MR50 (original owner),
'99 CR80 (11yr old daughter), '96 RM80 (14yr old son), 2000 DS80 (visiting
visit www.nomadssmx.org. Remove "nospam" from reply-to
scrape at mindspring dot com
2003-07-27 02:11:07 UTC
Post by Eric B
Not sure who Duke is, but I'll assume it's the Pro Circuit team
manager. Geez, with Brown, Stewart and Sorby likely to have been in
the top 5 or 6 by season's end, you'd think Kawasaki would have been
pretty happy.
Yah, except Brown is the great hope for a championship and he seems to have
lost his fire, and he's constantly walking the dirty riding line.
Sorby-well we all know about Sorby. And Stewart, well he has about a
snowballs chance in hell of pulling of the championship. Especially since
Rhino's almost better. Of course if Rhino gets hurt again, then all bets
are off. Yes, I'm counting out Langston-he's not consistent enough. He'll
f it up somehow.
Current points after Unadilla

Brown 249
Langston 249
Hughes 216
Sellards 167
Sorby 160
Stewart 150

Assuming Stewart runs the table from here on out (5 races - 10 motos)
he ends up with 400 points. Assuming Brown goes 2-2 for the rest of
the season, he ends up with 249 + 220 points = 570. Even if Brown
goes 5-5 the rest of the way out, he still ends up with 409. It's
certainly mathematically possible for Stewart to win, but an awful lot
of people are going to have to fall apart. A DNF or two could make
things interesting.

If Sorby hadn't been made to wear the dunce hat, I think Kawasaki
could have easily ended up with 3 in the top 5 though.

I don't care for Sorby, but someone at Kawasaki pooched this one.
scrape at mindspring dot com
2003-07-27 12:04:19 UTC
Post by scrape at mindspring dot com
Current points after Unadilla
Brown 249
Langston 248
Hughes 216
Sellards 167
Sorby 160
Stewart 150
Assuming Stewart runs the table from here on out (5 races - 10 motos)
he ends up with 400 points. Assuming Brown goes 2-2 for the rest of
the season, he ends up with 249 + 220 points = 570. Even if Brown
goes 5-5 the rest of the way out, he still ends up with 409. It's
certainly mathematically possible for Stewart to win, but an awful lot
of people are going to have to fall apart. A DNF or two could make
things interesting.
If Sorby hadn't been made to wear the dunce hat, I think Kawasaki
could have easily ended up with 3 in the top 5 though.
I don't care for Sorby, but someone at Kawasaki pooched this one.
Yah, but those points don't tell the whole story. Hughes can ride circles
around Brown and Langston-if he's healthy. Langston falls apart every time
it looks like he might be in the running. Brown rides like shit for at
least 3 nationals every time he gets accused of dirty riding, then he gets
over it, rides like a champ, and takes someone else out, and goes right
back to 5-10 place again. I predict Hughes for the championship, followed
by Stewart, then Langston in 3rd. Remeber, you heard it here first!!!! I
just think Kawi got to cocky thinking they got two national podiums tied up
and it just ain't gonna happen.
For Stewart to even finish second after missing 4(?) races - 8 motos,
that's going to be pretty impressive. I'd like to see Ryno win, but
it would sort of have an asterisk next to it. If Ryno and Stewart are
both in the 125 class next year, Stewart wins.
MX Tuner
2003-07-27 23:19:36 UTC
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:11:07 -0400, scrape at mindspring dot com
Post by scrape at mindspring dot com
Assuming Stewart runs the table from here on out (5 races - 10 motos)
he ends up with 400 points. Assuming Brown goes 2-2 for the rest of
the season, he ends up with 249 + 220 points = 570. Even if Brown
goes 5-5 the rest of the way out, he still ends up with 409. It's
certainly mathematically possible for Stewart to win, but an awful lot
of people are going to have to fall apart. A DNF or two could make
things interesting.
Well, chalk up one DNF for Brown today. He wadded big time and rode
back to the pits before the moto was over.

MX Tuner
scrape at mindspring dot com
It's all of a sudden a little more interesting.
Eric B
2003-07-28 12:54:05 UTC
Post by MX Tuner
Post by scrape at mindspring dot com
Assuming Stewart runs the table from here on out (5 races - 10 motos)
he ends up with 400 points. Assuming Brown goes 2-2 for the rest of
the season, he ends up with 249 + 220 points = 570. Even if Brown
goes 5-5 the rest of the way out, he still ends up with 409. It's
certainly mathematically possible for Stewart to win, but an awful lot
of people are going to have to fall apart. A DNF or two could make
things interesting.
Well, chalk up one DNF for Brown today. He wadded big time and rode
back to the pits before the moto was over.
It's all of a sudden a little more interesting.
Oh yah, Rhino to second overall. This may be the most interesting 125
Championship in years. And KW just went 1/1 again-how cool is that?
Eric
2003-07-28 12:42:35 UTC
Post by Eric B
Oh yah, Rhino to second overall. This may be the most interesting 125
Championship in years. And KW just went 1/1 again-how cool is that?
I was thinking of bailing out on going to Steel City this year in
favor of the SuperMoto in VA, but my plans just changed back.

scrape at mindspring dot com
2003-07-28 01:47:39 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:57:26 -0400, Stephen Bobic
Duke is Duke Finch, AMA Referee at things MX/SX. If he has his panties
in a bind, it's not a fun day for anyone.
Got it. Thanks.

W.B.Lyttle
94 Husaberg FE350
02 Yamaha TT-R125L (youngun's)